Why Essential Oils?
Historically, the use of essential oils date back to 4500 BC. The reintroduction of essential oils into modern medicine first began during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. However, with industrialization beginning in the 18th century, people were looking towards medication as their health solution as it was a faster option. This created a decrease in demand for high quality essential oils since consumers and buyers did not want essential oils for healing uses. This resulted in the industry producing essential oils at low cost mainly for cosmetic uses.
1. What are "Therapeutic Grade" Essential Oils?
- Most essential oils in the market have been produced as “recreational scents”; meaning they are used for aromatic purposes.
- Young Living’s vision is to bring Therapeutic Essential Oils back into use as a mainstream wellness tool; and its focus is to preserve the delicate properties of nature’s essence and to make that available to the community. Young Living’s priority is hence very different from other essential oils producers who are generally producing scents and oils that are used as scent enhancement for commercial bath and body products. For more information review the Seed to Seal website: http://www.seedtoseal.com/en
2. How do I use the Young Living Essential oils?
There are 3 Aromatherapy models for Essential oils usage:
- The English model: advocates diluting a small amount of essential oil in vegetable oil (a carrier oil) and massaging the body for the purpose of relaxation and relieving stress.
- The French model: prescribes the ingestion and neat (undiluted) topical application of therapeutic grade essential oils. A common form of internal use is to add a few drops of an essential oil to blue agave nectar or honey, a piece of bread, or a small amount of vegetable oil. Many French practitioners have found that taking the oils internally yields excellent benefits.
- The German model: focuses on inhalation of essential oils. Research has shown that the effect of fragrance and aromatic compounds on the sense of smell can exert strong effects on the brain – especially on the hypothalamus (the hormone command center of the body) and limbic system (the seat of emotions).
We use the Young Living Essential Oils in all 3 ways and we are especially able to use them in the French approach because Young Living produces the finest essential oils in the world and they are extremely pure. You will not use a non-therapeutic essential oil in the same manner in which we use the Young Living oils.
Choose the method of use that works best with the challenge you are attempting to address. For e.g. If you are using the oils to effect moods and emotions, diffusion and inhalation often offer tremendous results when the aromatic compounds enter directly via your sense of smell into the limbic brain. If you are addressing a locational pain, direct application is usually most helpful. If you are needing the oils in your circulatory or digestive system, ingestion may offer more immediate results.
3. Are they safe?
- Young Living meets all industry AFNOR and ISO standards. In addition to these external regulations, Young Living also sets and exceeds a higher internal standard, built upon Young Living’s own rigorous requirements. These stringent “Therapeutic-Grade” requirements are what set Young Living’s Oils far apart from most other labels in the market.
- Additionally, Young Living’s essential oils are “subjected to isotopic ratio mass spectrometry (IRMS) analysis. IRMS testing determines whether a particular essential oil is naturally sourced or synthetic (created in a lab). Young Living’s personalized sourcing approach, combined with state-of-the-art testing, ensures that each and every essential oil—from balsam fir to wintergreen—is of the highest, most potent therapeutic quality, just as nature intended.” (Excerpt from a Young Living Statement)
4. What might I expect from my first use of the Essential Oils?
Most people respond wonderfully to therapeutic essential oils and the body welcomes the naturally non-evasive way of re-balance. However if your body is more “toxic” in nature (due to poor diet, frequent medication, high stress levels, toxic environments – smoke, chemicals exposure etc.); you MAY experience these symptoms: headaches, redness on skin, itch on skin; and we have the occasion few who might even have detoxing bowel movements. Always be sure to drink plenty of water when experiencing these symptoms to help flush the system.
- These are not allergic symptoms. The very nature of essential oils is to break down and extract toxic substances from our body.
- As a start, if you prefer to approach the use of the oils with care; choose to dilute the oils at least 50:50 with an organic cold-pressed vegetable oil base (Young Living has their own V6 blend). You can eventually progress to using the oils neat.
- Keep a vegetable oil on standby and rub on irritated areas immediately should they occur. Drink a lot more water to help the body clear the detoxing matters.
5. How fast will the oils work?
Dr. Peter Minke has taught and shown scientific studies that an essential oil reaches the height of its efficacy around 20-30min after entering the body. It then begins to exit the body and would be almost gone in 2hours time.
If you pay attention to your body’s response, you will usually pick up signs (physical or emotional responses) of how it is responding to the oil within 20-30min. From that, you can decide if that would be an ideal oil to continue working with.
6. How frequent do I use the Oils?
- With the research gathered and presented by Dr Peter Minke, they indicate that an Essential Oil should be re-applied every 20-30min; when you have fallen ill. The body’s immunity is already under distress when one is ill and it is necessary to introduce resources in that interval frame to keep it well supported.
- Learn to pay attention to your body or watch for tell-tale signs of immunity under attack e.g. tiredness, mild sores and mood changes. At the onset of these signs, use the oils as frequently as every 20-30min and you will have a good chance at stopping a full-blown illness from setting in.
- On an average day, 3-4 applications in a day are good enough for a healthy system. Each application will still serve to increase the body’s electromagnetic frequency at keep it in check at the healthy range.
7. How do Essential Oils work compared to Medication?
- Medication is made with precision of the exact quantity of each ingredient. An essential oil occurring in nature is firstly consisting of hundreds of different natural occurring chemicals. While the general profile of the oil is the same from each harvest, microscopic differences will exist simply because this is a product of nature. This is very similar to the idea of producing wine where you will not be able to have an exact same wine even from a previous harvest of the same grapes in the same vineyard.
- Virus and bacteria are living microcosms that have the abilities to find their way around chemically made medication. That is why antibiotics lose their effects over time. However, a natural substance like an essential oil do not face the same problem simply because they are living essences and present themselves to the microcosm in less predictable manners.
- Medications are made from laboratory-made compounds that are not recognized and understood by the body. Over time, these compounds are directed to the liver when the rest of the body does not know how to expel them from the body. These compounds can be stored in the liver over years and eventually create dis-ease.
- An essential oil in its purest form is the life blood of plants and it consists of hundreds of natural compounds. However most essential oils companies would add additives or chemicals during their distillation processes and that would result in an adulterated oil that is not completely and purely from nature. If the body is introduced to an adulterated oil, it will have very similar response as it would to an “unnatural” medication. In contrast, Young Living focuses on keeping the oils authentic and unadulterated. This means the body is interacting with an absolutely pure and natural product and it has the ability to respond healthily to the oils. The body simply absorbs what is needed and easily releases the rest of the compounds through natural body functions in a matter of 2-3 hours.
8. I am new, what should I start with?
Determine what your short-term goal for using the oils is. Are you exploring options from a particular health situation, looking at improving immunity or preparing for natural home remedies?
These are broad categories of challenges most people are dealing with. Here are our quick suggestions of oils and supplements to use. This is not exhaustive and you can definitely find more details and suggestions from resource guides or online sources:
- Boosting Immunity
Thieves, Immunpower, Lemon, Purification, Melrose, Melissa, Raindrop Oils, Egyptian Gold, Exodus II, RC, Eucalyptus Blue/Radiata/Globulous, Myrrh, Inner Defense, Longevity Capsules, Life 5, Essentialzyme, Ningxia Red
Lavender, Gentle Baby, Frankincense, Myrrh, Rose Ointment/ Animal Scent Ointment, Sulfurzyme, Essentialzyme, Life 5, OmegaGize
- Autoimmune Issues
Lemon, Cedarwood, Frankincense, Sacred Frankincense, Idaho Balsam Fir, OrthoEase, Raindrop Oils, Ningxia red, Sulphurzyme, AlkaLime
- Hormonal/ endocrine systems
Geranium, Endoflex, Progessence Phyto Plus (P3), Idaho Blue Spruce, Nutmeg, Sclaressence, Clary Sage
- Neurological Systems
Cedarwood, Brainpower, Clarity, Frankincense, Valor, Peace & Calming, Vetiver, Valerian, Rutavala, Sulphurzyme, Detoxzyme, Power Meal, OmegaGize,
- Emotional Balance
TraumaLife, Sacred Mountain, Peace & Calming, Valor, Frankincense, Joy, Idaho Blue Spruce, Lime, Hinoki, Lemon, Orange, Ylang Ylang, Believe
- Weight Maintenance
Grapefruit, Lemon, Slique Essence, Ocotea, Cel-lite Magic, Essentialzyme, Power Meal/ Balance Complete, Wolfberry Crisp, Ningxia red. Also refer to oils used under emotional conditions
- Start with 2-3 oils to help yourself get used to the oils and not feel overwhelmed.
- Learn to layer the oils (i.e. apply 1 oil and wait approximately for 1 min for full absorption before applying the next). Or rotate the use of the oils at each application.
- Using 1-2 drops on each application is sufficient and safe.
After using the same oil(s) for 2-3 weeks, you can switch to 1 or 2 other new oils to allow the body to receive and work with different chemistry profiles.
The body takes time to re-balance with natural oils and supplements and also nutritive support. It has probably taken a body a length of time to develop chronic conditions or recurring symptoms. Please extend it patience for it to work with the natural resources like essential oils to regain homeostasis.
9. What precautions should I know of and practice to enjoy the use of Essential Oils safely?
- Citrus Oils and blends containing citrus oils are photosensitive. This means that the oil will cause darkening of skin when exposed to sunlight. These oils should either be applied to areas well-covered or avoided 24-48hours before sun exposure. The commonly used ones are Lemon, Orange, Tangerine, Grapefruit, Bergamot, Lime, Citrus Fresh, Joy.
- For application on children younger than age of 2, drop 1 drop of oil into your own palm, rub the palms together gently for 10 counts before applying to the child.
- Pregnant women may want to consult their health care professional before using essential oils containing constituents with hormone-like activity, such as clary sage, sage, tansy, juniper and fennel.
- Epileptics and those with high blood pressure may want to consult their health care professional before using essential oils – and – avoid using hyssop, fennel and Idaho Tansy oils.
- When an oil irritates the skin or the eyes, NEVER wash with water. Use V6 or an organic vegetable oil base to slow down the absorption and ease the irritation
- When adding the oils to beverages, always use glass or ceramic containers. The oils will break down plastic toxic materials.
- When in doubt, applying an oil at the soles of the feet is the safest and most effective location.
- Dilute with a carrier oil for use on children. –
- Never put directly in the eyes or pour in the ears. Avoiding mucus membranes.
- Dilute in Epsom salts or sea salt or liquid soap when adding to bath water.
10. What other resources can I tap on to learn more about Young Living Essential Oils?
- There are so many wonderful websites with sharing from distributors and users from all over the world. The following are our links and the ones we recommend:
- Four Seasons Oils has a Facebook page that you can like and follow to learn more. www.facebook.com/FourSeasonsOils We also have a closed Facebook group and our own team website full of member exclusive resources that you can request to join once you become a member. www.FourSeasonsOils.com
- www.youngliving.com - corporate website full of company and product information.
- Essential Oils Desk Reference (EODR): This is the definitive guide written by Gary Young and covers information on Singles, Blends and an entire section based on symptoms. It is available in a small ring bound version (highly recommended for new users), a large complete folder (recommended for those who are looking for deeper knowledge) and an online version. Order from the website: www.lifesciencepublishing.com (*consider pulling orders together with friends for shared shipping). This Essential Oils Pocket Reference (6th Edition) has over 80 additional pages with new information specifically in the Single Oils, Essential Oils Blends, and Personal Usage sections. You can also order from www.amazon.com.
- Reference Guide for Essential Oils: This is the other useful guide by Connie & Alan Higley. It is also available in different size. Order from the US website: http://www.abundanthealth4u.com/ (*consider pulling orders together with friends for shared shipping)
- http://blog.youngliving.com/ - Young Living’s Product Blog Site
- Young Living on Facebook
- Young Living on Pinterest
- www.dgaryyoung.com/blog/ - Gary Young’s Blog Site
- Young Living on YouTube
- www.oil-testimonials.com/ - Join this resource site to receive testimonials from users world-wide.
- www.airase.org/ - This is a site that provides scientific research of essential oils and is funded by membership.
11. Why become a Young Living Wholesale Member?
Some of the unique benefits of Young Living membership include:
Wholesale Pricing: Save 24 percent off retail pricing on Young Living products, and save even more money with exclusive specials and promotions every month.
Essential Rewards: As a wholesale member, you are eligible to enroll in the Essential Rewards program and earn as much as 20 percent of each order in Essential Rewards points.
Community: Enjoy a close-knit community of support. In addition to your sponsor, the entire Young Living family is ready to assist and encourage you in your journey.
Education: Young Living provides ongoing health education opportunities through conventions, seminars, and newsletters to keep you informed and assist you in your wellness progress.
Exclusive Experiences: Participate in unique events such as the Global Leadership Cruise and our annual International Grand Convention, and experience our Seed to Seal® process firsthand at farm harvests and plantings.
12. Did you know your Wholesale Membership also makes you an Independent Distributor?
Have you ever wanted to truly own your time—and your life? What if going to work every day was exciting and enjoyable, and you no longer had to wonder how you were going to pay the bills? Young Living’s generous compensation plan gives you the power to take control of your future and build a business that will change your life forever.
Being a Young Living distributor goes beyond simply building a thriving business, however. You will also enjoy extensive networking opportunities, exclusive hands-on experiences, and a strong sense of community.
Generous Compensation: Young Living offers an industry-leading compensation plan with generous commissions and bonuses.
Recognition: As you expand your organization and advance toward the prestigious rank of Royal Crown Diamond, you will enjoy special recognition for your accomplishments and leadership!
Not interested in a wholesale membership or building a business yet? Enroll as a customer and receive our products at retail pricing with flexible monthly purchasing options.
13. What do the Starter Kits include? How much do they cost?
A: Our Starter Kits are both affordable and designed to emphasize that a passion for essential oils is the foundation of membership in the global Young Living family.
• The Basic Starter Kit is $45 and contains our newly reimagined product and business package, which includes Essential Oil Sample Packets, product and business literature, and other popular product samples.
• The Premium Kit is $160 and includes everything in the Basic Starter Kit, plus a Home or Dew Drop Diffuser and an Everyday Oils collection.
14. What is the Essential Rewards Program?
Ensure that you always have your favorite Young Living products on hand with the convenience of Essential Rewards, where products are shipped hassle free from our door to yours! Available exclusively to Young Living Independent Distributors, the Essential Rewards program offers many benefits.
Easy Monthly Shipments
Enjoy the convenience of an automatic monthly order. Just set up your order and kick back as all of your favorite products are shipped right to your doorstep, month after month.
All Essential Rewards orders qualify for reduced shipping costs. Members pay a $6.98 U.S./$9.75 CAN flat shipping fee on the order's first 5 pounds and just $0.63 per additional pound for ground shipments to the continental U.S. and $0.70 per additional pound for shipments to Canada¹. For air shipments to Alaska and Hawaii, Essential Rewards members pay a $12.50 flat shipping fee on the order’s first 5 pounds and $1.25 for each additional pound.
Essential Rewards members who are also Independent Distributors can access exclusive income opportunities. The Rising Star Team Bonus is just one way Essential Rewards members can access additional cash rewards. Learn more about Young Living's Compensation Plan.
Exclusive Rewards Points
Earn points toward future product purchases with every Essential Rewards order. As your months with Essential Rewards increase, so do your rewards!
The first six months on the program you earn 10% back in rebate points, the second six months is 15% and after being on the program for 12 months, you earn 20% back on all your ER orders. (% is earned on pv purchased) The more you order, the more points you can redeem for free Young Living products.
Become an Essential Rewards member in three simple steps.
1. Enroll as a Young Living Wholesale Member/Independent Distributor:
Online through Virtual Office.
On the phone at 1-800-371-3515.
2. Choose your favorite Young Living products or Essential Rewards pack(s) worth at least 50 PV.
3. Complete the Essential Rewards agreement:
Online through Virtual Office
Fax it to (866) 203-5666
Please contact your Young Living distributor anytime for more information!